Powered By Blogger

Sunday, May 6, 2012

23 Things Project: Thing 7 Social Networking

Everyone is so caught up in social networking these days. It seems like you have to have a Facebook, a LinkedIn, and Twitter, and many more (insert name here) in order to be a part of this big Internet world. Well, I have all those things, but I don't feel any more a part of the Internet world than I did before. I don't post, I don't tweet, I don't post pictures...so do I really need these things? I do lurk...I do read and think about what people are saying online. I still think it is kinda silly though. It's kinda like blogging, do you really want to put your whole life out there for strangers to see? I still undecided about how I really feel, so I'll keep lurking and posting to this blog at least until the project is done...then we'll see. I might like it by then, who knows?

My favorite social networking site is Ravelry.com. It is a social media site for knitters and crocheters and other crafters. I find patterns, yarn recommendations, advice, and fabulous pictures of people's knits. I'm pretty much a lurker here too. I don't post many comments to the forum groups I belong to...currently I have 39 posts, whereas my best friend has over 4,000 posts. See the difference!

Now, on to the assignment...Facebook and the library. I went to my Facebook account and "liked" the Harris County Public Library. Why? It's my local library. I want to know what's going on there, in case I want to participate. It is a super cool Facebook page. Lots of stuff to see and read.

As to having a Facebook page for my school library...it could be a good thing as long as you update it. Lo, here in lies the problem. I am not an updater. I barely update my SchoolCenter library site. I start the school year off with good intentions, but they fade away quickly. I'm sure I would be the same way with Facebook. (See my above confessions about posting).

I could foresee some issues with having a Facebook library page. You would have to be careful about posting student pictures. You would have to censor your comments as well. You would have to monitor other's comments too. And what about if the original "owner" of the library page moves on to another job?

I could see some good outcomes as well. You could keep people up-to-date on the library happenings, you could recommend books, you could discuss issues and books with others. Again, the update issue raises its ugly head...you would have to be diligent in keeping up. I'm just not sure if I'm up to the challenge.

See you soon,
Debra

No comments:

Post a Comment