Powered By Blogger

Saturday, May 12, 2012

23 Things Project: Thing 15 In the Cloud

"Get your head out of the clouds." That was what my mom used to say to me when I spent more time daydreaming than cleaning my room or doing my homework. Amazing how things have changed, now it's okay to have your head in the clouds or at least your documents, that is.

Cloud computing is a great way to collaborate with other people. A few years ago, I collaborated with some of my peers on a presentation about libraries for a workshop we were presenting at our former college. We did some initial planning through Google Docs because when you have moved past your college years, it is harder to find time to meet with people to work on a project together. If you have some extra time, you jealously guard it and don't want to give it up, so using cloud computing like Google Docs makes sense for everyone.

I could see how using something like Google Docs could be useful in the classroom, especially for group projects. Not every student has a computer at home or access to the Internet, but can usually use the school computers to work on projects or computers at the public library, so being able to access a common platform like Google Docs would make it easier to get the project completed.

Google Docs forms could be used to gather information about how users feel about the library program or gather suggestions for programs or books to purchase. Alas, there is so many productivity tools out on the Internet that it is becoming totally overwhelming to me.

For now,
Debra

No comments:

Post a Comment